Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why am I Interested?

For a while I had been telling myself that I was going to become a doctor. That I was going to over come my fear of blood, and help others in need.  But one day I found out that I couldn't handle human blood at all. I had lost it.
We were waiting for my grandpa to wake up in the ICU, and I was telling the doctor how I wanted to become a doctor, when I was told I could come back and watch things when my grandpa was awake.   He finally had woken up and we were aloud to see him. When I went in they were taking blood from him and putting new IV's in him.  The sight of the blood made me cringe. My stomach twisted and turned. I turned tight into my dad and told him I couldn't do.  My dad and I were hunting one day when I realized I wanted and could be a Vet.  I had just shot my deer and asked my dad if I could try to gut myself this time.  He told me he would walk me through it, but he was going to help until I got used to the blood and guts.  He did the cuts and I did all the work.  I still to this day, do not understand how I can handle one and not the other.   Also, I love animals. They are the best things you could ever have. I love all kinds of animals.  I think helping animals is so fun. I have chickens, pheasants, quail, chucker, dogs, and cats at home, and I absolutely love helping them when they get sick. We had a pheasant that couldn’t walk. I helped straighten out his feet a little bit every day. Even though that little baby never made it I still felt like I helped in some way.  I also had a chicken that had gotten it’s foot stuck in the coop door, and was bleeding. All the other chickens pecked at it and caused it to bleed even more. So I washed up the wounds and put the little guy in a separate cage until he got better.  Everyday I go out and feed and water all the animals and talk to them and make sure they are doing okay, I check for eggs and attempt to make some of them a little bit more friendly.
         There are many types of Veterinarians.  The one I’d like to be is a Large Animal Vet or Vet Technician.  I’d rather be a Large Animal Vet, but I would be happy with becoming a Vet Tech.  Becoming a Vet is basically my dream. I want to attend Iowa State and follow in my Uncles footsteps in attending that college.  It seems crazy that I already know what I want to exactly be when I grow up, even though I’m still young.  I feel that this job will suit me well with my personality. I’m sure that if I apply myself I can be a very successful Veterinarian.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this for the rest of the semester... also it is hilarious that your URL is squirrel, but it is about large animals. Great start!

    ReplyDelete